Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ladybugs and Fireflies Necklace Inspired by Artbeads



Making jewelry is not as easy as some people try to tell you...some people feel as long as you have some beads and other jewelry supplies then your all set. Well not for me at this stage of my life. I've been struggling to make this necklace using the Stoneware Porcelain Pendants for days now. So, what's the issue?

Some might say a creative block but that's never it...it's usually about time management. I had to stop and start this necklace a few times because other things demanded time but I'm proud to say I kept going when I could sneak time for it and finally...here it is!



I decided to name this necklace Ladybugs and Fireflies...even though there isn't any fireflies in the pendant. But I felt the carnelian chip beads seem very firefly-ish to me in color and form. As for the pendant instead of metal or gemstone I chose one of Stoneware Porcelain Pendants for the symbolism of the ladybug.

Wanna know some cool ladybugs legends?

- Nearly ALL cultures believe that a Ladybug is lucky! Killing one is said to bring sadness and misfortune.
- In some Asian cultures, it is believed that the Ladybug understands human language, and has been blessed by God, Himself.
- In France, if a Ladybug landed on you, whatever ailment you had would fly away with the Ladybug!


And my personal favorite

- People in Switzerland told their young children that they were brought to them, as babies, by Ladybugs!


To me jewelry is more then just precious metal and gemstones to look pretty with. I feel jewelry should also have a symbolic connection with the wearer. One purpose of wearing jewelry is to adorn but people also wear jewelry to protect and bless the wearer. I hope my ladybug blesses the person who's spirit leads them to it.

So that's what I did with my Stoneware Rectangle Pendant - Spring Blooms and Ladybug. What do you think?

3 comments:

Jonara Blu Maui said...

Oh it's so cute! I love the double strand. I wish that a lady bug would come and land on my kiddo and take this flu bug away that he came home with. I'm paranoid of catching it and he's miserable!

Beaded Zen said...

So glad you like it. I really liked the double strand for some reason.

Sorry to hear about your little one having the flu. Lots of rest and fluids. Hope he gets better soon so you can stop being paranoid!

Dee said...

I like the finished product. I have a cousin who loves lady bugs, I've been thinking of making her up something just because.