Tuesday, March 24, 2009

No Woman Should Die Giving Life



So for the past 2 weeks or so I've been trying to find a charity to support. I've looked on eBay, FaceBook and multitudes of various online sites highlighting organizations that are worthy of receiving donations. Still I didn't find what I was looking for.

Should have been an easy task considering there's literally thousands of charities to be found. Hmm. But being who I am I can never just do something easy. I had to find something that not only touched me on a personal level but made some positive worldly karmic contribution.

Well, thanks to Charity Navigator (www.charitynavigator.org) I finally found one *grin*.

As a mother I wanted a cause that either support new moms or supported infant health issues. Americans for UNFPA (United Nations Population Fund) (www.americansforunfpa.org) does all that and so much more.

As I read thru their site to learn about their mission statement, services and programs I felt more and more I wanted to join with them. I like that it's an international source of assistance. That means women from all over the world, no matter their racial background, will receive the help they need.

They even have a section where women can form a community around this idea:

Lifelines (www.worldlifelines.org) - a communal space where women can share their life experiences and learn from the experience of others.

Since I come from a multiracial family and have my own biracial son, I didn't want to pick organizations that just helped one racial demographic of women. I've always felt women are part of a single community no matter the skin tone. Going through the process of puberty and preparing to be a mother is something ALL women can relate to.

True, some women may choose not to became mothers while other women choose alternative forms ofparenting. But for those women like me that brave the birthing process, it's one of the greatest joys of life. I wanna be part of something that helps a woman have choices so she can also have a positive motherly experience.

All that's left is to contact them...2nd step


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great sentiment and lovely idea. Women are women no matter what color...all bonded together for whatever the purpose.

Jeanne

Ruth said...

Glad you've found somewhere. Look forward to hearing how you organize it all.

Nidhi Seth said...

Home of handmade eco friendly products
handmade jewelry.